Looking to illuminate your basketball court, driveway, garden, front door or simply to improve the level of security of your home without consuming electricity? Check out these best solar flood lights:
Installing outdoor flood lights is a great way to add beauty and dimension to your home. It also serves as an integral part of your home security system, increasing your sense of safety.
The only problem is that traditional floodlights are energy inefficient, a hassle to install, and costly to maintain. The best solution to this problem is to install solar flood lights. Solar flood lights provide you with an eco-friendly and energy efficient way to illuminate the exterior of your home without the messy electrical wirings and high costs of maintenance.
While there are lots of great solar flood lights available on the market, not all can best meet your lighting needs. This is because they vary greatly in terms of build quality and features such as bulb type, brightness and coverage, solar panel type and capacity, battery type and capacity, and motion detector sensitivity.
For that reason, we’re going to look at some of the best solar flood lights out there and highlight key things to consider when buying to make sure you get one that’s best suited for your unique lighting needs.
So, let’s jump right into it:
|Solar Floodlights||Installation Height||wattage||Lumens||Panel Wattage||Battery Type||Charge Time||Working Time||Lifespan||Warranty|
|WERISE 300W Solar Street Lights Outdoor||300W||12000||150W||32Ah Lithium ion battery||6-8 hours||11 hours||50,000 hours||3-years|
|ECO-WORTHY 300 W Solar Street Flood Lights||16ft||300W||5000||80W||77Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery||6-8 hours||11 hours||50,000 hours||3-years|
|Otdair Solar Security Lights||8.2 ft||8W||550||1.8W||3.7V 22Ah Li-ion Battery||6-8 hours||6-30 hours|
|PSG 300W Solar Street Lights||300W||12000||150W||6.4V/48Ah battery||6-8 hours||24 hours||2 years|
|YQL Solar Street Flood Light||13-22.5 ft||300W||5000||60A large capacity battery||16-20 hours||2 years|
|RicharmSolar Lights||6W||800||6W||22Ah, 3.7V Lithium-ion Battery||6-8 hours||10 hours|
|Vivii Motion Sensor 30 LED Security Lights||6ft||600||3.7V 120Ah Battery||7 hours||12 hours||50,000 hours|
|A-ZONEAZ-JJ-W000002||10ft||5W||800||3.7V 26Ah 18650 lithium battery||5-6 hours||40 hours|
|GLORIOUS-LITE Solar Security Light||7.2 ft -14.8 ft.||15W||1600||24Ah Lithium-ion battery||4 hours||50 mins-24 hours||50000 hours||1 year|
|(2 Pack)JESLED Solar Flood Lights||10-15 ft||4.2W||800||2.5W||3.7V 26Ah 18650 lithium battery||4-5 hours||4-5 Nights||2 years|
Best Solar Flood Light Reviews
WERISE 300W Solar Street Lights Outdoor
Top on our list is the WERISE 300W Solar Street Lights, which stands out for its premium build quality, dusk-to-dawn performance, convenient remote control, and easy installation.
This solar security light features a durable construction made of die-cast aluminum frame and tempered glass with an IP65 waterproof rating. This makes it surge and dust resistant and able to withstand harsh weather conditions. It also comes equipped with 234 pieces of high quality LED beads rated to last up to 50,000 hours, so you’ll not replace them anytime soon.
This solar flood light boasts a high efficiency solar panel that takes less than 8 hours to fully charge the built in 3.2v/32Ah battery with direct sunlight. When fully charged, the powerful battery can run the security light for up to 11 hours non-stop, lighting up your outdoors from dusk till dawn.
The 234 LED lights can produce about 12000 lumens of brightness, providing maximum illumination of your outdoor spaces. The WERISE 300W Solar Street Lights are designed to automatically turn on when it gets dark outside and turn off at sunrise. This saves you the hassle of controlling the lights manually.
For added convenience, this solar street light comes with a remote, allowing you to turn it on and off, adjust the brightness, and set the timer remotely. It comes with everything you need to effortlessly assemble it and mount it on your balcony, tree, wall, pole, or any other outdoor spot you desire.
- Powerful, long lasting battery provides dusk-to-dawn outdoor lighting
- Designed to withstand harsh weather elements
- Easy to install with the required mounting accessories set
- Turns on and off automatically
- Convenient remote control
- Requires little to no maintenance
- Dust-proof and anti-surge construction
- Backed by a 3-year warranty
- The remote control has a limited range.
ECO-WORTHY 300 W Solar Street Flood Lights
Coming second on our list is the ECO-WORTHY 300 W Solar Street Flood Light that features an impressive 6500K of daylight white light and 8000 lumens of brightness. This means it’s capable of illuminating large outdoor spaces as a basketball court, garden, or an arena with great ease.
The solar outdoor floodlight has a wattage rating of 300 watts and has 576 high quality LED bulbs. It has a high quality 80 watts polycrystalline solar panel with a high efficiency rate of up to 18 percent. The high efficiency panel takes about 8 hours to fully charge the built-in 7700 mAh lithium-ion battery. The best part is that the floodlight can brighten your outdoors for about 11 hours on a single charge.
Another cool thing about the ECO-WORTHY 300 W Solar Street Flood Light is that it’s designed with multiple control options for your convenience. This means the lights can automatically turn on at night and off in the morning, saving you the hassle of manually controlling them while also saving power. It also comes with a remote control, which allows you to conveniently adjust the brightness, set a timer, and switch the lights on and off remotely.
This solar security light comes with all the required accessories for hassle-free installation. You can mount it on a pole, tree, or any other place 15 feet high. And since it includes a remote, you’ll have no problem changing the settings once you mount the light.
What’s more? The ECO-WORTHY 300 W Solar Street Flood Light is backed by a 3-year manufacturer warranty and has excellent customer service.
- Automatically turns on and off with a light sensor
- Super bright LED solar lights for wide outdoor areas
- The lights can be dimmed for power saving and longer use
- Easy to control using a remote control
- Durable and waterproof construction
- Comes with a 3-year warranty with a 30-day money back guarantee
- Great 24/7 customer service
- The light is a bit heavy, requiring a strong base
- The light angle cannot be adjusted
Otdair Solar Security Lights
If you’re looking for the best solar powered motion security light with an adjustable light angle at an affordable price, you can’t go wrong with this 2-pack solar security light by Otdair.
The Otdair Solar Security Lights feature a unique three-head design with a 360-degree rotatable multi-joint. This allows you to easily adjust the floodlights to any angle and direction you want for a wider and better illumination.
This solar motion sensor light has a built-in body motion sensor with a range of 120 degrees and a distance of up to 10 meters. This means the lights will automatically turn on for 30 seconds whenever someone comes in this range. It also has a light sensor function, which turns on the lights at dusk and off at dawn.
These solar security lights come equipped with 118 powerful LEDs that produce about 550 lumens of brightness and a massive 6500K of color temperature. This makes this floodlight bright enough to illuminate your driveway or backyard once it gets dark.
You may also love that this solar motion light is powered by a 2200mAh lithium battery, which can light up the lights for up to 30 hours of night use. The best part is that the battery can fully charge even in low light conditions.
What’s more? The flood light can easily be mounted on a wall with screws and doesn’t require any wiring, making the installation process a breeze for you.
- Give ample brightness to light up your driveway, backyard, or patio
- Can be adjusted to any angle for better illumination and coverage
- Super easy to install
- Can withstand harsh weather conditions with an IP65 waterproof rating
- Wide and sensitive motion sensor coverage
- Can fully charge in low light conditions
- Great for security
- Great value for money
- Solar panel can be adjusted for maximum sunlight exposure
- Only shines when it detects motion
- Limited battery capacity
- Limited control options
PSG 300W Solar Street Lights
The PSG 300W Solar Street Lights makes a perfect option for anyone looking for a heavy duty solar outdoor floodlight with a high 300-watt power rating.
One of the impressive features of the PSG 300W Solar Street Lights is its solid build quality made of heavy duty aluminum metal. It is waterproof, dustproof, and resistant to high temperatures and other harsh weather elements, so you can leave it outdoors all year round and not worry about it getting damaged.
This solar street light has a massive 22 x 16” solar panel with a wattage rating of 150 watts. The high efficiency panel takes less than 8 hours of direct sunlight to fully charge the built in 48,000 mAH battery. Once fully charged, the battery provides up to 24 hours of lighting saving you almost 80 percent in electricity bills.
The floodlight has 480 LEDs that produce 6500k of white light and a massive 10000 lumens of brightness, lighting up your entire backyard area, shed, or street with great ease. It comes with a remote that gives you full control of how you want the light to be, which is great for personal use. Using the remote, you can conveniently set the timer, change the mode and adjust the brightness from a distance.
Apart from being easy to operate, this solar flood light is effortless to install on a wall, ceiling, or any other place 15’ high from the ground with its metal bracket design. The metal bracket allows you to easily adjust the light to various angles for better illumination.
- Great for outdoor street lighting
- It has a high intensity and brightness
- Provides lighting for an entire day with only a few hours of sunlight charging
- Allows you to adjust the brightness, angle, and set the timer remotely
- Wide motion angle of up to 120 degrees
- Has a Remote control for adjusting the brightness, timer setting and angle adjustment
- Backed by a 2-year warranty
- The solar panel could be improved for speedy charging on cloudy days
- It is a bit heavy, making it hard for some to install by themselves
YQL Solar Street Flood Light
If you’re looking to illuminate your parking lot-sized driveway with a large amount of clear light, your best choice is the YQL Solar Street Flood Light.
This solar security light features a total of 786 LEDs with an adjustable color temperature range of 2700k to 7000k, allowing you to switch from a relaxing warm white daylight to cool white light for security lighting.
It has a 300-watt power rating and produces up to 5000 lumens of brightness, comfortably illuminating large outdoor areas such as your patio, garden, and pathway. Measuring 27.6 x 13.78 inches, the huge, high efficiency monocrystalline panel generates enough power to fully charge the 60A lithium iron phosphate battery in a short time.
On a full charge, this solar floodlight can work for up to 20 hours illuminating your outdoor space throughout the night. It also comes with a remote control, allowing you to conveniently switch between the different modes from a distance.
This floodlight features a metal body with a tempered glass, making it not only durable but also able to withstand harsh weather elements.
- Easy to install with no grooves or wiring required
- Reliable operation with minimal maintenance
- Convenient remote control
- Holds up well against harsh weather elements
- Generates more power with a large, high efficiency panel
- Multiple lighting modes to choose from
- Can adjust the color temperature for the best lighting
- Does not have a motion detection function
- Not ideal for small areas
Richarm Solar Lights
Featuring multiple lighting modes and installation options, durable construction, and remote control function, the Richarm Solar Lights is easily one of the most versatile solar flood lights out there.
This solar security light comes with a 16.4ft cable for connecting the solar panel to the lights, allowing you to mount the panel where it receives maximum sunlight. The long cable also allows you to place the lamp at a height for maximum illumination.
It comes with an adjustable mounting bracket, allowing you to install it on a wall, pole, or place it on the ground. This way, you can use this solar flood light for landscape lighting, security lighting for large spaces, or as a factory sign light.
Each of the lights come equipped with 42 LEDs, producing a total of 1600 lumens of bright light, which is more than enough to illuminate large outdoor spaces of up to 430 square feet. The lights have a wide lighting angle for a wide coverage.
It has a highly efficient and photoelectric polycrystalline panel with a high conversion rating of up to 17 percent. The large 2,200 mAH lithium-ion battery can light up the LED lights for a continuous 8 hours on a single charge.
Using the remote control, you can easily set the timer for automatic operation and adjust the brightness at a distance of about 12 meters.
- Comes as a set of 2 floodlights for maximum illumination
- The panel can be mounted in a different place for maximum sunlight exposure
- Provides lighting for 8 hours non-stop
- Convenient remote control
- Great for multiple applications
- It has a wide lighting angle and coverage
- Durable weatherproof construction with IP65 rating
- Comes with a 3-year warranty and a long, 90-day money back guarantee
- Doesn’t have switches for manual control
- Instructions could be made easier to follow
Vivii Motion Sensor 30 LED Security Lights
If you’re looking for the best budget-friendly solar floodlight, the 4-pack Vivii Motion Sensor 30 LED Security Lights is your best choice with each light costing less than ten dollars.
Despite the low price tag, these flood lights are well made using heatproof and weather-resistant plastic with an IP65 rating, guaranteeing maximum durability and minimal maintenance.
Each security light has a total of 30 powerful LEDs that produce up to 80 lumens of light, which is bright enough to light up a 30 feet area. The lights have a wide 270-degree angle range for better illumination coverage.
The solar security lights boast a long lasting Li-ion battery that can provide lighting for up to 12 hours of night use with just 7 hours of charging. It is also designed with a motion sensor that activates the lights once it detects motion within a 26 feet distance.
- Best budget-friendly option
- Safe for outdoor use with an IP65 waterproof rating
- Comes in a pack of four powerful floodlights
- Super-easy to install
- Provides one of the widest illumination angle
- Great motion detection range
- Not as bright as the other options on our list
- Doesn’t have remote control function
- Doesn’t offer multiple lighting modes
A-ZONE Solar Motion Sensor Light
The A-ZONE Solar Motion Sensor Light stands out as the best solar powered motion security light on our list with the longest run time of up to 40 hours.
This solar motion light boasts an attractive, compact design and a premium build quality made of an aluminum alloy frame and ABS material with an IP66 waterproof rating for lasting durability of up to 5 years. Due to the weatherproof construction, you can safely use this light outdoors all year round regardless of the weather conditions.
The solar Led flood lights can produce about 800 lumens of light, which is more than enough brightness to light up your outdoor space all night long. It also features a built-in photocell sensor that turns the lights on at night and off during the day automatically.
It also automatically switches to bright light mode once it detects motion within a 26 feet range. The lights can be adjusted at 360-degrees for better and focused illumination and the solar panel can be set at multiple angles to get maximum sunlight.
- Simple to install
- Multi angle adjustable solar panel and lights
- Provides the longest run time on most efficient setting
- Bright enough to illuminate a porch, driveway, patio, and pathway
- Weatherproof construction for outdoor use year round
- No remote control option
- Not the brightest model out there
GLORIOUS-LITE Solar Security Light
Featuring an IP65 waterproof rating and 3 flexible adjustable head design with a powerful motion detector, the GLORIOUS-LITE Solar Security Light makes the best solar motion light for your backyard, patio, and pathway.
This solar security light boasts a solid build quality made of high quality ABS+PC for improved durability. It has an IP65 waterproof rating. So you can comfortably use it outdoors no matter the weather conditions.
This solar motion light has a sensing distance of up to 72 feet, automatically activating the lights for about 120 seconds when it detects motion within this range. The lights feature powerful Samsung LED bulbs that produce 1600 lumens of power and a color temperature of between 5500-6000K, making it a great outdoor security light.
You can easily mount the GLORIOUS-LITE Solar Security Light on a wall using the included manual with easy-to-follow installation instructions.
- Great sensing distance of up to 72 feet
- Hassle-free to install with easy-to-follow installation instructions
- IP65 waterproof rating allows for safe outdoor use
- Build to last with high-quality materials
- Adjustable head design for better illumination
- Powerful LEDs with incredible lumen power and color temperature
- Comes at an affordable price
- Doesn’t offer remote control function
(2 Pack)JESLED Solar Flood Lights
Featuring a lightweight and portable design, USB charging, and a long run time, the 2-pack JESLED Solar Flood Lights are the best option for emergency lighting, camping, and hiking.
This solar floodlight features 90 LEDs that can produce a maximum brightness of 800 lumens with great ease. It comes with a 2.5W polysilicon solar panel that converts sunlight into electricity to charge the high capacity 2600mAh rechargeable battery.
When fully charged, the battery can power the lights for up to 5 nights effortlessly, keeping your campsite well lit throughout the trip. You also can charge the battery via USB charger when it’s cloudy or rainy outside or during emergencies, ensuring that you always have light.
What’s more? This JESLED Solar Flood Lights have infrared sensing that keeps the lights on when motion is detected for improved security. You may also like that this solar floodlight is backed by a 2-year warranty and comes with a 60-day money back guarantee.
- Offers a long run time of up to 5 nights
- Automatically turns on and off for dusk-to-dawn lighting
- Great for security lighting with motion detector function
- Can be charged by solar or via USB charger
- Lightweight and compact design allows for greater portability
- Comes with a 2-year warranty plus a 60-day money back guarantee
- Doesn’t come with a remote control function
- Not ideal for large outdoor spaces
Buyer’s Guide: Things To Consider When Buying A Solar Floodlight
Solar floodlights is an investment for your compound and hence attention and care is needed when buying one to ensure it can meet your lighting needs. This buying guide provides you with an analysis of factors that you should consider when buying the best solar flood light. These include;
1. Solar Panels
A solar flood light uses a solar panel to harness solar power and convert it into electricity to power the lights. As such, it is crucial to ensure your solar floodlight comes with the most efficient solar panel. Some of the factors to consider include;
a. Type of Solar Panel
There are three major types of solar panels;
• Monocrystalline panels;
They are the most effective and efficient (15-21%), albeit expensive. They are ideal for powerful solar floodlights.
• Polycrystalline panels;
They have a cell efficiency of up to 16% and are cheaper to manufacture. They are used for powerful solar flood lights and lighting houses and commercial buildings.
• Amorphous panels;
They have an efficiency of up to 10%. Used to charge different low power electronic devices and are used in cheaper, lower power solar lights.
This is the amount of power that a panel would produce in ideal conditions. Powerful lights would require panels with higher wattage. A fairly large light would require a 15-20 watt solar panel.
c. Panel Size
This would mostly be determined by the power and the space available to mount the panel and access to sunlight. Monocrystalline solar panels are ideal because even small sizes are able to produce sufficient power in comparison to other types.
2. Solar flood light types
There are several types of flood light you can choose from such as;
- Security solar flood lights
These are the most common types of solar security flood lights. Most of them are operated automatically by motion and photosensors. They ensure that the lights are on only when necessary.
- Landscape solar flood lights
These are solar outdoor flood lights that illuminate objects or areas in the compound. They have ground mounts that make them illuminate objects in front of them, not below them.
- Solar flood lights without a motion sensor.
They are used where constant illumination is required throughout.
- External solar panel solar flood lights.
These flood lights use separate solar panels since the place where the light is located has got no access to direct sunlight. They are usually the same as regular security flood lights.
- All in one fixture solar flood lights.
All components i.e. the solar panel, sensors and the lamp come in one part. They are ideal for decoration purposes.
- Hybrid flood lights.
These have both solar and mains power connectivity. This means that you can attach the flood light to electricity and power it with direct current, when solar flood lights battery runs out.
3. Bulbs, Brightness and Power
The main function of solar lighting is to illuminate a certain area at night and depending on the size of this area, you should choose appropriate light with enough power and brightness. Some factors to consider include;
a. Light Brightness
The brighter the floodlight, the better the choice. This is measured in terms of lumens, an indicator of how bright a lighting fixture is going to be. The area you want to illuminate will determine the brightness of the light you need. Flood lights with higher lumens will be brighter.
It is advisable to go for floodlights with LEDs as they are more efficient and brighter than other bulbs. Please note that LEDs are 3x more efficient — produce more lumens consuming the same amount of energy as compared to halogen bulbs.
b. Type of Bulb
Bulbs produce light. The light could be dim or bright, white or colored. There are various types of bulbs which include halogen, CFL, HID and LED bulbs.
However, most solar flood lights use LED bulbs. This is because of;
- Energy Efficiency: LEDs are very efficient. They consume little energy, yet produce very bright light. They are ideal since solar flood lights because they increase the run time for the battery.
- Durability: Diodes are a lot more durable than other types of bulbs with glass envelopes, which is great for outdoor lighting.
- Lifespan: LEDs last long. They can operate up to 50000 hours maintenance free.
- Compactness: LEDs are small hence ideal for more compact fixtures.
c. Color Temperature
Color temperature describes the color of light produced by a flood light. When used indoors, color temperature helps to set the mood. Bulbs with lower color temperature will produce warmer, more orange looking color and bulbs with higher color temperature will produce cooler, bluish color. Some come with a remote control to remotely control color temperature.
d. Coverage Distance
The area you intend to illuminate is key in determining the kind of solar flood light you would buy. A brighter light would illuminate better while a focus light will make the light go far. To ensure that the light covers a long distance, ensure that you go for one with better focus. You will also need to consider the angle of coverage as a higher angle provides better results.
4. Battery Type and Capacity
Solar energy is stored in batteries for use by the flood lights. A quality battery is an essential component of any solar light. You will need to consider the following when making choice;
a. Battery Type
There are 4 types of batteries for solar flood lights namely; NiMH battery, NiCAD, Lead Acid Battery and Lithium-ion Battery
• NiCAD and NiMH batteries appear in the standard AA or AAA sizes. It is small, light and easy to replace. They are ideal for low power solar lighting. Ni-MH one provides numerous advantages over NiCAD such as higher capacity and longer work time with one charge.
• Lead Acid Battery is powerful and comes with high capacities. It is cheaper than lithium-ion batteries.
• Lithium-ion Battery is most preferred for it is very powerful and small in size. The battery has a lifespan of 2000 cycles. It is however more expensive than other types.
Apart from the battery type, you also need to consider its capacity for the best performance. The battery capacity is the amount of energy that can be stored in a battery and is measured in ampere-hour (Ah) or milliampere hour (mAh). The more the Ah a battery has, the longer it can run, hence the best choice.
c. Charging Time and Run Time
It is important to identify the charging and run time of a battery before purchasing a flood light.
A battery that charges quickly is ideal as it works well even in areas that have minimal sunlight. On the flip side, you will need to ensure that the battery can support the lights for a long duration of time before discharging.
5. Type of Sensors
Automation is key in making choices of the flood light to buy. Sensors not only save you the hassle of operating the flood lights manually, they also save battery energy by automatically switching on lights only when needed.
The types of sensors available include;
• Motion Sensors — these sensors detect movement within a specific area and prompt the lights on, and go off or dim after some time.
• Adjustable PIR Sensors: These sensors have a provision for adjusting sensor features like detection range, distance, light sensitivity, and delay time to suit your preference.
• Photosensor / Dusk to Dawn Sensor: This type of sensor turns on the light automatically when it’s dark outside and turns off the light at daybreak.
6. Build Materials
A flood light could be made of a plastic or aluminum casing. The purpose is to protect the light’s inner parts from damages from weather elements and other factors such as a drop, extreme temperatures, water and dust. Most premium models have aluminum casings, while low power lights are designed with plastic casings to reduce cost. Kindly note that a plastic casing does not necessarily mean low quality.
7. Ease of Installation
Solar Flood lights should be easy to install as they require little or no wiring. Most are designed mountable hence you need to identify one with the right mount bracket design and accessories for the area you’re looking to install it. Additionally, where some wiring is necessary, you will need to check that you have appropriate and sufficient cables.
Most companies will offer a warranty to guarantee the quality of their products. Checking the terms of the warranty is important. Remember, the longer the warranty term, the better the quality of the solar panel kit components.
Another equally important factor to consider is the price of the solar security light you’re looking to buy. While the price will be determined by the features included, be sure to choose a floodlight that’s within your budget but performs well to meet your lighting needs.
1. What kind of maintenance is required for solar flood lights?
Solar flood lights are maintenance free.
2. What are the benefits/advantages of solar flood lights?
Solar flood lights offer many benefits compared to traditional floodlights, including;
• Zero operation cost
• Are rust resistant, water resistant and weatherproof
• Require minimal installation cost and less maintenance
• Offer long run time especially those with lithium-ion batteries
• Require no wiring hence easy to install yourself
• They use green renewable energy that is eco-friendly
3. How long will my solar floodlights last?
Various brands will last for different duration of time depending on the quality. Anything above 50,000 light hours seems to be pretty standard across the market, though some can go beyond this. Some other brands have a warranty of 2-3 years, others more. Note that the battery may give out over time. Depending on the brand, you may replace the battery or buy a new flood light.
4. How do solar flood lights turn on at night automatically?
Solar flood lights will turn themselves on at night because of in-built sensors. These could be;
• Photosensors: they sense darkness prompting them to put the light on. Darkness prompts them to switch off the light automatically.
• Voltage Sensor: Puts the light off during the day when the light is charging and puts the light on when the solar panel is not charging at night.
• Motion Sensor: The sensor ensures that the light remains off or dim, and will automatically light up on sensing any motion within a specific range.
As you’ve seen from our review, solar flood lights offer a quick and easy source of lighting when you want to light up an off-grid outdoor area without incurring any operation costs. They also offer an environmentally friendly way to illuminate your patio, shed, yard, driveways, pathways, and garden since they use renewable solar power.
When buying, be sure to consider the above-discussed factors to ensure you get the best one for your outdoor lighting needs.